Officially named in 1983, Martin Luther King Jr. Day is this upcoming Monday. Over the years, MLK Day has become strongly associated with volunteer service. For many, this day is not seen as a day off but rather a day on which we empower ourselves and build stronger communities. If you’re looking for service opportunities in Marion County you can find them here.
If you’re on this Trail this weekend, head towards the southeast corner of Washington and Pennsylvania – here you will find a Martin Luther King Jr. luminary garden. This luminary is a part of the Cultural Trail Glick Peace Walk, which is dedicated to honoring individuals who have made a peaceful contribution to society. Take a moment and read about how this inspiring individual dedicated his life to the greater good of society.
There are also plenty of free activities around the city to enjoy in honor of Martin Luther King Jr.
- Newfields: Speaking Love, Sunday 12-4pm, Free admission with donation to MLK Community Center
- Indianapolis Zoo, 9am-4pm, Free Admission with one non-perishable food item
- The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis, 10am-5pm, Free admission
- Indiana State Museum, 10 am- 5 pm, Free admission with donation of one canned good for Gleaners Food Bank, 10 am- 5 pm, Free admission with one non-perishable food item
- Eiteljorg Museum, 10 am- 5 pm, Free admission with one non-perishable food item
- Madam Walker Legacy Center’s Annual Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration, 10am-12pm
- Indiana Historical Society, 10am-5pm, Free, Programming all throughout the day.
Whatever you decided to do on this long weekend, honor MLK by engaging with your community!